The Communication on the European Green Deal sets very ambitious objectives for the EU and sends a strong message to the rest of the world regarding Europe’s ambition to reduce emissions by at least 50% by 2030 and to transform its economy to become carbon-neutral by 2050. In this Joint press release, UIP, together with 14 other European associations from the transport sector, calls for a bold and realistic European Green Deal.
We welcome the European Green Deal but, at the same time, call on the European Commission to ensure that the transport sector remains an enabler of sustainable trade and economic growth. We therefore ask for support in the sector’s efforts to face the energy transition, by:
- Coming up with a strategy which defines the roadmap to a carbon-neutral transport sector without compromising industry standards with respect to health and safety;
- Thinking “end to end supply chains” when reducing Green House Gas emissions;
- Unleashing the potential for multimodal transport;
- Providing legal certainty for early movers, by specifying and maintaining emission targets
- Mobilizing funding for research and dissemination of innovative solutions; and by
- Ensuring a neutral approach when supporting innovation.
UIP will discuss with the Commission the possible measures for achieving this objective taking into account rail freight and wagon keepers’ agenda.